Pages

Monday, September 17, 2012

A letter to my 16 year old self

Some of you may know that I lead a small group of Senior Girls on Sunday nights. I look forward to these nights all week long. I'm so proud of each and everyone of those girls and can't wait to see the ways the Lord works in their lives as they venture into college and beyond. Well as with most people when you spend a lot of time around teenage girls it gets you thinking about your days as a teenager. I started wondering what I wish I had done differently, or wish I had known, or wish I had done that I didn't do. You've seen a lot of these around this thing we call the internet but here is my own version...

Dear "16 year old me",

You're a pretty girl and you don't need to lose weight. Trust me, you're the smallest now you will probably ever be.
 
Try to stay out of catty girl drama. The more you involve yourself, the more your words will probably get twisted.
 
Wherever you want to go to college, go there! Don't focus on where your friends are going!
 
At this point, don't let boyfriends/crushes bring you down. Enjoy this time with friends and only give boys time who treat you great in public and in private.
 
Remember your values, hold on to things sacred.
 
You're never too cool for any church event. If you want to know the people who will really care about you- you will find them there!
 
Be sweet to your parents, you will regret it if you don't. It's better for everyone in the long run if you just stay respectful.
 
Go on and start trying to overcome your circumstances. Beat the odds. Don't blame mistakes on the hand you were dealt.
 
Trust God. He loves you. SO. MUCH.
 
Don't worry if other people have nicer clothes/cars/jewelry than you. Nobody will remember and you will probably be making fun of the clothes you used to wear one day.
 
Whatever you do, do it with everything you have! Take ownership of who you are and be proud of that!
 
Keep in touch with those people who want to invest in your life. They really do care, and you really will want them involved later on.
 
Try new things. You never know where your gifts may lie.
 

2 comments:

  1. Is it sad that I still need to remember this one when my "clothes budget" is tight now? "Don't worry if other people have nicer clothes/cars/jewelry than you. Nobody will remember and you will probably be making fun of the clothes you used to wear one day."

    I think yes. :)

    I loved this and I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so wise, Jessica! Rachel, I finally decided about my clothes that no one really cared but me and that if I let that go, I would be so much better off. I have about three things I wear to church and it makes me so happy not to have huge choices!

    ReplyDelete